At Weelsby Academy reading is at the heart of everything we do, including our curriculum. Our aim is for all children to be fluent readers by the end of Key Stage 1 and this goes beyond the teaching of phonics and reading.
We follow our ‘Reading Enhanced Curriculum.’ Just as it sounds, all our learning is introduced and supported by wonderful books that have been carefully chosen to support the National Curriculum and develop a love of reading in all areas.
Weelsby Academy is a school set in the East Marsh of Grimsby, near the once thriving Grimsby Docks. Local industry has changed over time and now Grimsby depends on industries such as food processing, logistics, chemical and process industries and the the rise of new sectors, such as those supporting offshore renewable energy. Future generations will need a range of adaptable skills such as an understanding of technological and engineering techniques, communication and organisation skills and the ability to work logically when developing a process and/or solving a problem. They will require the ability to consider both the needs of their own locality and that of the global world.
At Weelsby Academy, the curriculum has been designed to develop the skills needed for our children to thrive by:
- Recognising children’s prior learning.
- Providing clear progression of subject knowledge, skills and understanding as set out in the national curriculum.
- Enabling all children to reach their full academic potential, regardless of individual needs, ethnicity and/or socio-economic factors.
- A set of essential values are developed that will determine that children will be able to understand and manage their own mental and physical wellbeing and become responsible citizens throughout their lifetime.
- First-hand learning experiences that allow the children to develop interpersonal skills; build resilience and become creative, critical thinkers and articulate communicators.
- Links with local industries enrich the educational experiences and the children’s understanding of developing technology to raise their expectation of what they can achieve.
- A wealth of experiences that, without their school community, they may not encounter in their childhood.
- Community involvement that creates secure understanding of their locality and what makes them unique.
- Outward looking pupils who are able to engage in learning about themselves and have an understanding of the wider world and its cultures.
Children will leave our Academy with a sense of belonging, confidence in themselves and their abilities. They will have the capability to adapt to the rich diversity of Britain today and the ability to talk with confidence. Our children will inherit kindness for others, their local community and the world in its entirety.
|The Academic Layer|
|The Personal Development Layer|
|Reading Enhanced Curriculum|
|Reading Enhanced Curriculum Long Term Plan:|